The Roman theater – Al Masrah Al Roumanee
It is situated at the east of the mid –town in Marah el Sheikh .It is sculpted in rock ;its remains consist only of nine tiers .Being half circular .It can accommodate spectators with their backs to the east .This stage extends under houses and expands to the west where bathrooms are buried underground. This stage evinces the financial and cultural importance of Batroun during the Roman epoch, when its inhabitants were given the right to coin money in its name from 31 B.C.till 250 A.D.
The old marketplace – Al Aswak Al-kadeema
After visiting the Roman Theater ,the tourist goes west down to the old city marketplace (nineteenth century), stoned with basalt between 2003 and 2004 .Its houses are distinguished by their vaults made up of Batroun’s sandstones. They are the achievements of a rich social class; bourgeois tradesmen and industrialists. The marketplace used to host a great number of shops, stores caravanserai, hotels and firms, above which were the dwelling-places of people.
Saint Stephan’s Cathedral
From the marketplace the visitor goes to the Maronite Saint –Stephan Cathedral (achieved at the beginning of the 20th century).It is one of the biggest and most beautiful churches of Lebanon .It overlooks the fishermen’s port. Its design was made by the Italian architect Giusape Maggiore who also supervised its construction. Its pattern is a mixture of Byzantine and Roman arts with some influence from the Gothic art .The cathedral’s stones are sandy from Batroun and it consists of a main nave and two wards in the direction of the east west .It has three altars, the principal among which, in the center, has above it a painting of Saint Stephan by the Italian painters-Giosti.
The ”Judge Well” – Bir El Kâdi
To the south of Saint Stephan’s cathedral one can find the “well of the judge” which was sculpted by a number of Batroun’s citizens around the close of the 19th century. The excavations were financed by Judge Michael Ibrahim El Khoury which explains the name of the well from whose water the Batrouni people drank until 1961. The Well was rehabitated by”Lika”Ash-Shabab Al-Batrouni in December 2003.
Saint George Church – Mar Gerges
Situated on the south-west of the “judge’s well”, the Greek Orthodox Saint-George’s church was built by the chief mason Tanios Deebo from Batroun , and made up of Batroun’s sandstone. Its main gate to the south is made up of limestone from Thoum. It was achieved in august 1867. The church consists of two vaults: the main one, a cupola, is the highest and the most beautiful in kind in Lebanon; the second one, in the form of a cross, overlooks the altar. This church is distinguished by the recess for women to the north and south from the inside, under the dome.
The Phœnician Castle Al kalaa
After visiting Saint- George’s church the visitor goes to the south west where he can find the Phoenician castle was built by the king of Tyr Ittobaal (9th century B.C.) in order to defend his kingdom from Assyrian invasion. Yet the earthquake on 9july 551A.D. destroyed this castle which, later was rebuilt casually by Batroun’s inhabitants. From this random construction one can only see the upper part of the castle which was used by Arabs, Crusaders, Mamluks and Ottomans.
The Marketplace Lady church – Saydet AS-Saha
This is plain-design church 1898 has no vaults and is made up of Batroun’s sandstone. It is situated to the southern side of the castle, close to it.
The Miraculous Sea Lady Church – Sadyet Al Bahr
The next tour would be to this Greek Orthodox Church that overlooks the Phoenician Marine wall it is made up of Batroun’s sandstone and of one barrel vault to the east and west. Nothing is known as to its construction date. One can find therein golden icons made by Issac of Jerusalem 1863.
The Marine wall – Phoenician Wall – As-Sour
It was originally sand dunes petrified on the eve of the fourth geological era around one million years ago. Men at Batroun started hewing it to take hard sands rocks in order to build sand rocks in order to build temples, houses, shops hotels, schools, convents and even ledges that border properties in Batroun. This process went on until it took its present shape that dates back to the first century B.C. The length of the wall is 225m., its width on the top between 1m and 1.5m.. This stood against sea storms and invaders.
The Prince’s Seat Rock – Maqaad-El Meer
It is situated to the south –east of the wall. The name “Prince’s Seat was given to Batroun and design a seat rock in which a door is engraved in the western side and a staircase leads to the top.
On the way back the green line, the visitor can see traditional buildings recently restored. In addition, he can taste Batroun’s lemonade, the toast of the town for ages. At Batroun, resorts, night-clubs, restaurants and cafés are abundant to such an extent that the visitor will have a wide choice to end up his tour the way he likes.